About Me

My photo
Texas
An attempt to put my jumbled thoughts into words.

Saturday, November 22, 2008

Obsession

I did it.

I fed my unhealthy addiction, I dressed as a groupie and went to the midnight showing of the much anticipated 'Twilight' move. Now let me preface all of this by explaining exactly how I first became acquainted with the book, so you don't discredit me by thinking I jumped on the bandwagon. I LOVE to read, and frequent Barnes and Noble (my place of worship) quite often. I usually peruse the books that are on sale because I always love to find a good deal. While sifting through the books, Twilight caught my eye instantaneously, the cover pulled me in and beckoned me to read the back to get an idea of what it was all about. The back read as follows; "About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him- and I didn't know how dominant that part might be- that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."..... by this point I was laughing. What a cliche plot for a book, falling in love with a vampire?? But it did say that it was a New York Times bestseller (as most books do nowadays.. funny) so I bought it.

Twilight then set on my shelf for several weeks as I finished reading books that I thought were much more interesting at the time. But once I opened it, and continued to read on, I began to fall in love. I fell in love not only with the book, but with the characters. I had not felt this way about a book since (yes I'm sad to say) Harry Potter. I'm a loser, and I fully acknowledge it, so it's OK. I had no idea at the time what a paramount book I was holding. I had at first believed that I was so lucky to have come across this treasure in written form, it was then that I discovered how this book had entranced thousands of others. And when I learned that they were making it into a movie?? Well I almost passed out with excitement!

After stepping back and viewing this Twilight frenzy in a more analytical way, I believe I have unearthed why this book/movie is such a mega hit among young girls. First of all, everyone loves a good romance story, and that's exactly what Twilight is. Not only is it a lovey-dovey book, but the main character just so happens to be an extremely dangerous vampire; and every girl likes a bad guy. Stephanie Meyer also did an amazing job with the way she wrote the book, she took this overused vampire theme and twisted it. She made the vampires into the good guys, the heroes if you will. I believe her writing style also had a lot to do with its success. She cleverly wrote the book in a personal manner, sucking the audience in. It's as if the reader is Bella Swan, and we can hear what she's thinkging. Her personal thoughts are splattered right across the page, so how can you not be pulled in and fall in love with this man that she is so obsessed with. He (Edward) begins to become all you think about; this impossibly perfect man laid right in front of you.

This book is about true love, something that EVERY girl seeks. And I fully believe in true love. I think there is someone out there for everyone, someone who will sweep them off there feet mustering this Edward-Bella obsession. But for now I'm going to continue to brood over the fact that Edward isn't real.

2 comments:

A.M. Shackelford said...

"...this impossibly perfect man laid right in front of you."

You have to admit casting Robert Pattinson as Edward was a really good move on their part. He is so dreamy... as evident with us chasing around his double on the cruise.

That being said, I think that Stephenie Meyer is a little bitch, and while I don't like her personally (Really? Not finishing 'Midnight Sun' because you were dumb enough to give the manuscript out and got pissed when fans were desperate to read it on the internet? Grow up.) I think she created a character with Bella that every girl in the country can relate to. Unlike Gossip Girl or the A-List, we can all understand what it is like to immediately be attracted to a boy, being in disbelief that they might like you back, and kind of never fitting in everywhere.

I don't think that people should judge for liking a book. ESPECIALLY since this new brand of 'fantasy' book (i.e. Harry Potter, Twilight, Eragon) are getting more and more people in the country to read. Everyone that I worked with this summer refused to read anything but Harry Potter until I introduced them to this whole realm of books. And that is why there were 7 of us that went to the movie screening.

So I'm glad you're a groupie, Nicole. I only wish I could've gone to the midnight showing...

Eric C. said...

ain't this twy-lite thing a little over the top? i mean he is a good looking guy...just because a chicken has wings doesn't mean it can fly